Re: BLOW UP driveshaft!

On 4/21/04 11:26 PM, ABSDoug2@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>... all kinds of crunching. Pushed
> the bike home. Guess bike night is canceled. What am I doing
> wheeling with 90K on my shaft!? And I'm broke right now too.
> 	Just got the bike all apart, took a few hours.  I wanted to
> confirm it was the drive shaft. It certainly was. KABOOM.
> Universal joint failed.
> 	I have something else disturbing to report. I wanted to make
> sure the transmission wasn't blown up. Put the bike in all the
> gears, no problem. I'm looking at the output shaft. I don't know
> if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but it almost looks like
> there is a wobble going on <cringe>.

Well, absent the wheelie, my RT is sitting at BMW of St. Louis right now
with the same problem. Rolling along I-44, just turned over 117K miles,
suddenly felt bumping like going over a rough road, loss of power. Got
to the shoulder, no drive. Got a tow truck, rolled it off the flatbed at
the shop, could hear a thwap-thwap-thwap sound from the rear end.
Diagnosis: Front u-joint failed, driveshaft "disintegrated" (the
mechanic's word), holed the swingarm, bent the tranny output shaft. You
don't even want to know what the repair estimate is.

- --
David E.B. Smith * Chicago IL 393 455 * BMWMOA BMWRA IBA AMA ABATE
1997 R1100RT Sine(us) Blue "No name" * Illinois IBMWR plate * 01, 03 IBR
1999 F650 Black (hers - no, really)
1999 Subaru Forester S "also a Boxer"
http://www.davidebsmith.org