Re: Oilhead service interval question

Wayne Woodruff writes:
 > I'm glad you qualified that.  I'm going to offer my "free" advice as
 > well.

Oooh, oooh, me too!

 > I think the intervals should be 4,387, exactly, not one mile more or
 > less.  Seriously.  What's the big deal between 6K and 5K intervals?
 > The math is easier to remember with 5K.  BMW recommends 6K.

The math is easier at 5K only for us 'murkins too set in our ways to
go fully metric (even though our units are officialy described in
metric terms, see http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/appenB.html
for some of the grizzly details).

Anyway, the recommended interval is every 10,000 km.   That's even
easier to remember than 5K, no?   It does go to prove that things
have gotten better over the years.   My old R69S needs at least the
oil changed every 2,000 km.

Who cares that the odometer reads in miles, the conversion is easily
done in your head... oh, it rounds out to about every 6,000 miles :-)
OK, back to serious mode.

 > Which is why I find it troubling that you would recommend synthetic.
 > I am no expert mechanic, but I would never use or recommend synthetic
 > in a bike with only 10K.  Personally, I'd wait until 20K or 25K.

Yes.   My R1150RT was still burning oil at 20K miles.  Apparently
this is somewhat common.   I finally went to synthetic at the 24K
(40,000 Km :-) service.

// marc