RID

Barry:

>My R.I.D. has gone wacky. The Oil Temperature Gauge is now intermittent.
Has anyone taken this apart to repair or clean?
The replacement is typical BMW $$$$$$$$.

Anytime any electrical thing like this goes out, check the connections,
especially the ground connections to the dash and the frame.   They corrode
in the weather.   When you locate them...and I'd look in a book and locate
as many as I could easily get to...take some dilectric grease, avaliable at
Honda shops and lots of other place, like the hardware store, and cover the
connections after cleaning them.   You won't have this problem again if you
do.   The Iron Butt guys with older bikes swear by this reliability tweak.

Then I'd check the connections to the oil sender...when in doubt, clean it!

Then, if you're sure it's actually the RID, check out a salvage yard for one
rather than buying a new one.  Also, the classifieds on IBMWR.ORG are very
good.

Good luck with this.  I think you'll find it's something cheap.  Happy
hunting.

- -TB