RE: Exhaust Systems

Al sez:
Right on!  Every VFR owner has a can sitting in the garage.  First thing
they do when they get the bike is install an aftermarket system.

I say:
Same story with most Japanese sportbikes.  All you really need is a can
with a relatively straight section of pipe on the input end, since
that's what the 2B and D&D cans have.  The VFR can is a bit angled, I
think, but it obviously works.  I went with the '03-'04 R6 can simply
because it was available at the time and I thought it would match well.
I paid a bit much on eBay ($40 +ship), but it's a very high quality
piece.  Other options to consider:

'00-'03 (I think) R1--also titanium, so should be light. Has separate
hanger strap. Dark grey, weird blue, or even a carbon was available

'01-'04 FZ1--Chrome finish, separate hanger strap.

'01-'03 CBR F4i--I got one of these for $5 in case the R6 didn't work
out.  It's much heavier, but a nice chrome finish.  Bracket is attached
to can.

'03-'04 ZX-6R (636)--Chrome finish, separate hanger strap.

There are likely several others out there, but these seemed pretty
common (except for the FZ1).  They're all well made using stainless,
chrome, aluminum, titanium, etc.  If you're patient, you can find a
virtually new one for next to nothing.  If you're really cheap, you can
get one that's been scratched for just a few bux (the scratches will be
on the inboard side if you can mount it properly).  Keep in mind that
shipping on these is usually $20 or more.

The ones with a separate hanger strap will save some grief since you can
hopefully take it off and reverse it, or at least bend it for left side
mounting.  Being able to position it anywhere along the can will
probably save the hassle of making a bracket to reach the stock mount
point.  Like the VFR, the R6 and F4i cans have a bracket welded in
place.  I bent the bracket until the aluminum welds showed significant
stress, and I still had to make a connector.  The bracket ended up
conspicuously on the top of the can, and the angled exit is pointing
more to the left than down.  Not a big deal, but I'll probably grind the
bracket off and use a hanger strap eventually.  Or maybe I'll just keep
my eyes open for a strapped can.

You have to cut off all but an inch or two of the input pipe on the
muffler, and cut some slots to make clamping effective.  A hacksaw will
work, but something pneumatic will save your shoulder--they use pretty
good stainless on these things!  The diameter won't match the 2B or D&D
midpipe, but you can get an adapter at the auto store that will slip
over the midpipe and inside the muffler pipe.  I trimmed that adapter as
short as possible, then used the D&D clamp and the Yamaha clamp to seal
it all up.  It's kinda hokey to have two clamps side-by-side right at
the muffler inlet but it seals well and it's not that noticeable.  At
least the shiny clamps hide the ugly adapter.

I was a bit worried about using a can designed for a 600cc I4 on an 1100
twin, but the results speak for themselves.  A modern 600cc sportbike
will turn roughly double the rpms of an oilhead, so it's got no problem
flowing enough air.  The exhaust pulses are way different, so the
performance tuning can't be ideal, but I've noticed no detriment.  It's
probably not "ideal" on the R6 either since it has to be quiet at such a
wide range of rpms.

Wow, that's a lot of babbling.  Can you tell I'm really happy with the
finished product?  It satisfies all my requirements: No more hot cat,
inexpensive, no more heavy stock exhaust, low cost, great sound (not too
soft or too loud), economical, low maintenance, nominal cash outlay, and
it was cheap!  If anyone is still awake after reading all that and wants
some pictures or more info, just let me know.

Eric Renneisen
'94 R1100RS
'88 R100RT
'72 R75/5