low fuel light - '95 r1100r

I recently purchased a 1995 R1100R with a defective low fuel warning
light.  Before I start stripping things down to check the bulb, wiring and
sender, I wanted to ask whether the light is always lit for verification
purposes when first switching the ignition on - as are the low oil
pressure and charging lights.  The owner manual and Clymer service book I
have don't say anything about this topic.  My low fuel light is not
illuminating under that circumstance but I don't know if I should read
that as an indication of bulb burnout or not.

Also, is it just me, or is BMW wildly optimistic about the fuel capacity
of the R1100R's tank?  I ran out of gas (thanks to the non-functioning
fuel light), stopped, leaned the bike to the right to get the last dribble
of fuel into the pump, and then just barely made it to the nearest gas
station - I had to roll the last 50 ft or so.  I was only able to get 5.15
US gallons into the tank, yet BMW specifications claim 5.5.