Re: Windshield for R1100R (2001)

> Toby is considering:
>
> National Cycle Plexistar (if they have the mounts for my bike)
> *Ceebailey (if this one, don't know how wide I should get it)
> *Aeroflow handlebar fairing

I have a '97 R11R with the stock 18-inch BMW shield and a Clearview 22-inch
shield.  I have to stretch to see over the latter.

If you are trying to reduce noise, I don't think a shield will help.  Wind
comes up from around the gas tank behind the shield and hits you underneath
the helmet.  I also tried a Laminar Lip in several positions on both
shields, but did not get much noise reduction.  I'd guess that we need a
fairing to reduce noise.

To help reduce the noise, I ended up buying a tighter fitting helmet and
higher db-reduction earplugs.  Buffeting has not been a problem for me.

When I was testing the Laminar Lip, I rode the bike w/o a shield for a bit
and was amazed how quiet it can be.  Maybe a flyscreen shield would provide
enough protection w/o creating too much noise.

Be sure to post the results you find.

Regards,
Wendell Ponder
Grapevine, Texas