BUNNY: Medical Update - I Rode My Girlie Bike Today

Presidents,

Medical Update:

Nine weeks after foot surgery to remove the bony mass that was causing
the hole in my sole and all is well.  The ulceration at its worst was the
size of a silver dollar and is now completely gone.  It was traded for a
four inch incision in the outside edge of my foot which has also
completely healed.  I have been walking for five weeks and my surgeon is
pleased with my progress.  The surgeon also had made two incisions just
above my heel to lengthen my Achilles tendon so that I will have better
range of movement and that I will land on the correct part of my foot
when I walk.  After the cast was removed, my foot flopped around somewhat
in certain positions but I have regained all of my range of movement over
time.  With proper care and the right shoes and orthotics, I should have
no further trouble from this site.  This was the third surgical procedure
on my shift foot and will be the last one for the foreseeable future.  If
you're diabetic, don't neglect your feet, for two feet can have a nasty
way of turning into four wheels.

I Rode My Girlie Bike Today:

My last ride was the week before my June 28th surgery and I had not
ridden since.  It's tough to shift with your foot in a cast and my
mission was to heal, not to ride.  There are still some upgrades I need
to make on my R1100RSL (which President Rob Lessen considers to be a
`Girlie Bike`), such as installing a new battery, wiring power for my
GPS, installing PIAA driving lights on Martin Engineering brackets and
replacing the rear shock assembly.  I had replaced my tall Parabellum
windscreen with the stock windscreen earlier in the week so that I could
get more airflow these summer months.  The front of my RS surely looks
different with the smaller screen and lack of SA-ENG QuickScan mirrors.
I left the Bunny Cave in the early afternoon with the temperatures in the
mid 80s and headed out for ninety minutes and fifty miles of riding some
local rural roads.  I did experience some difficulty shifting at first as
the RS riding position put my left foot in an odd angle.  I lost track of
my foot at times and was not able to determine if my boot was above or
below the shifter.  Solving that was easy enough but I must be careful
how I position my foot to avoid cramps with this new pair of boots.  I
experience a bit of swelling in my feet, ankles and lower legs so my
Danner Patrol Boots (CHP approved, Gore-Tex) were parked in the closet in
favor of some new Propet E-width waterproof outdoor walkers
(http://www.wideshoes.com/catalog.cfm?cat=81&subcat=324&subsubcat=454).
If the little euro-racer boots from the motorcycle store don't fit, I
recommend that you check out the selection at Hitchcock Shoes at
www.wideshoes.com for shoes and boots in sizes up to EEEEE.  The shoes I
can get there are wide enough for my misshapen feet and deep enough for
orthotic inserts.  I had also inserted a pair of magnetic insoles for
tripping the sensor loops at traffic lights.  I've successfully changed
lights on numerous occasions by sweeping my foot across the loop, but
this method does not work on the many car-counting cameras which control
the traffic signals on my side of town.  Large as I may be, I only count
as one vehicle for the traffic cameras.

Weather and authorities permitting, I will be out on the RS later this
week to ride to lunch at Hooters in either Florida or Georgia and to
check my lottery tickets in those states.  Sure, I could check for my
winnings online but what's the fun in that?  I prefer to ride the rural
roads across the border and stop for a Slurpee while the attendant at the
Stop 'n Rob runs my tickets to see if I'm a big winner.  Usually I don't
win, so I buy another lottery ticket for an excuse to ride back down
after the next lottery drawing.  Alabama voted down a state lottery a few
years ago, so I must suffer the brief 100 mile ride to the border states
to play.  It's a great excuse to get on the BMWs.  My RS is getting all
the attention this summer since it had to sit idle in the garage for nine
months in 2003 while I was away in Nebraska.  The Police Bunny Bike had
its fun last year in Omaha, so now I must reciprocate and get the Girlie
Bike out on the road.

Robert Munday...   Montgomery, AL    `98 R11CHP    `95 R1100RSL
ABC #3783    Village Idiot    Rolling Broccoli Rider    BOOF #131
Oilhead #1561    Nebraska Nightrider    Big Sioux Rider
Trustee, BMWMOA Foundation    Keeper Of The List    *Iron Bunny*

RPG/COBOL Programmer - Will Program For Food
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!