Re: Relays

ABSDoug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>	Trying to learn more about relays. The part I don't understand; using small
>amounts of power to energies the switch with bigger amounts of power. Where
>do you pick up this smaller amount of power? I read how relays work and from
>what I read, all the power is coming from the same source; the battery.

The way the ones I have used work is that from the relay you have: wires
to the on/off switch for the object being powered (aux lights,
whatever), wires to the object being powered, wires to the battery, and
what I'll call a "sensor" wire. I think the sensor wire is what you're
asking about. The idea is you tap the sensor wire into any random
circuit that will have power in it when the ignition is on. You might
choose a headlight or tail light circuit or instrument light circuit,
etc.  Anything that has constant power when the ignition is on, and no
power when the ignition is off, is fine. The idea is that the relay uses
power from the sensor wire to run an internal switch that decides if it
is "ok" to send power to the object being powered. Assuming the object
being powered's on/off switch is in the "on" position: Power from the
sensor wire = ok to send power to the object. No power in the sensor
wire = no power will be sent to the object. This feature prevents the
mistake of leaving aux lights on to run down the battery after you shut
off the engine and walk away.

Does that answer the question?

- --
Bob
     Eventual Master of the Obvious
  R1200GS CB750F DoD EMOTO BMWMOA SOHC4
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun