Re: Grease on Front axle

In a message dated 10/18/2004 10:08:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Sioux Harris" <vsharris@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>While washing my R1100R I noticed a film of dusty grease on the axle, where
>the stepped part of the axle fits against the wheel. Any ideas? Anybody been
>there?

Grease on a motorcycle? especially a beemer?   I wouldn't admit it if I were you.  I finally got my entire bike to have a very nice uniform greasy bug encrusted film on it, only took 65K too!.It really looks like I ride it a lot!..

Seriously there is grease up there and it will build up,I come to the conclusion that the term sealed bearing is a misnomer.  They are only sealed enough that you can't regrese them. Also there was probably some grease on the axle to make it slide back into the forks.  A small amount of grease or oily surface can become exagerated since it collects dust faster than martha Steward collects cooking tips from her inmate buddies.  Don't loose sleep over it, go polish your bike 10 times more then come over to my house!

Paige