ABS Lights

Chuck:

What year is you oilhead?   BMW has changed their ABS system a couple times
and uses different brake systems on different models.
More than likely, if it's an 1100, the battery is not strong enough and the
cold weather is making the starter draw more current.   Low voltage during
the ABS boot-up cycle on these bikes will cause the fault.   The 95, 96 and
early '97 bikes were more sensitive to low battery voltage than the later
1100s.

A New and Separate ABS Issue:

I have an '04 RT that I bought in August of last year.   I had it in last
spring for brake fluid service.  After that time, the bottom dash indicator
would stay on about 60% of the time after start-up.   My solution was to
shut the bike off while rolling, at any speed, with the clutch in, re-start
the bike, match revs and continue on.   The light always went out.

Until I changed the oil recently.  After doing this, I got on the bike and
went to a meeting...in a hurry.  I rode quite a long way before I found the
place and time to safely shut off and restart the bike while rolling.   It
didn't work.  Tried again, still wouldn't work.   Yesterday, I rode 400
miles on it and never could get it to reset.   I guess back to the dealer to
finally complain about service that was done wrong last spring....they'll
never believe me.

- -TB