Re: R1100RS mystery

rob wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wrote a while back about my RS burning the right cylinder exhaust
> valves,
> and with an 80% leakage in the left cylinder; BMW has now officially
> denied
> any coverage including any good will. The reps attitude is that they
> have no way
> of knowing what I've done to the bike (though my maintenance record is
> on file
> at my dealership), and that it's too far out of warranty. Though the
> bike has
> 44K on it, they might as well say that burned valves are the norm!
> Something
> obviously went very wrong to have gone from 8% leakage in both to it's
> current state in 10K miles.

Did you perform the maintenances or did the dealer?

> A few questions are in order:
>
> Have any of you burned valves, or had severe leakage in a cylinder,
> similar
> to what I've described? Or heard of another bike similarly disposed?
>
> Might anyone have a contact name or a more specific (preferably email)
> address
> other than the generic N.A. address in NJ?
>
> Has anyone sold there bike as in my bikes condition? I'm extremely
> leery after
> 5 transmissions, a sight glass blow out, fuel pump failure, and now
> the top end
> problems, to keep this bike. The ONLY plus to this, IF one could call
> it that,
> is that the dealer is willing to take my bike and knock off 5K on a
> new machine.
> They want $1500 for a full valve job and I'm pretty sure I'd have a
> hard time selling
> it with full disclosure of it's past. So, if someone's interested....
> I obviously have some thinking to do, but am not impressed by the new
> models, and the
> RS has changed enough that I'm not sure I'm interested.

!!! You've had 5 transmissions in this bike alone? And all that other
stuff? Something is very funny here. I'm not saying who is to blame, but
if I were the rep, I'd be very suspicious that the owner was doing
something strange. I'm NOT accusing you - but saying that this seems
bizarre beyond belief.

If you wish to go ahead, I'd look into your state's lemon law. As far as
the valves taken in isolation, I'd say BMW is right. The bike is well
off warranty. But taken as a whole, I hardly know what to say other than
you are the most patient person I have ever heard of.