Re: oilheads-digest V1 #328

>A few weeks ago I wrote that after going 30 miles and taking a 45
>minute lunch break, the ABS wouldn't kick in.  The lights kept
>flashing, even after shutting down the ignition and a few more breaks.
>
>So today I made the last run to fill up the tank for winter.  The
>battery was fully charged, and for the ride to the gas station the
>lights stayed on.  However, after the fill-up, the ABS clicked in again
>and I rode home with the lights off.
>
>Anyone have an explanation for that phenomenon?

Just a shot -

Are your Battery terminals and ground point clean? A small amount of
corrosion can drop the voltage *just enough* to allow starts/lights
but may not supply the max voltage needed to set the ABS.

I've had bikes that wouldn't even turn over (and the headlight looked
bright), and started just fine after a quick cleaning of the terminal
connectors with a small wire brush/sandpaper. Lead and copper form
oxides pretty easily in damp weather. YMMV.

Ken
Airhead-84 and oilhead-97

- --
      "The pitiless pity us
      With souls black pitted.
      Pray! save it for those less spirited.
      For us... our horizons are unlimited."--James Richmond
      Ken Huie, 2-9803, 413 Minor Hall, 8-5, Tu-F