Re: oilheads-digest V1 #347

On Dec 16, 2004, at 4:47 AM, oilheads-digest wrote:

>>  BMW Motorcycle operating profit is (I think) down by about 13.3% for
>> the first three quarters of 2004.
>

> This is not a function of sales alone. I believe that significant funds
> have been and continue to pour into new model development.

True.  I reread the report and discovered I need to pay more attention.

The reported 3rd qtr profit from Motorcycles has increased by 13.3%
going from a 15 million euro LOSS in 3q2003 to only a 13 million euro
LOSS in 3q2004!  The motorcycle derived profit for the first 9 months
has decreased from 74 million euro in 2003 to 59 million euro in 2004.
BMW claims that this 15 million euro decrease was mainly due to market
launch expenditures for new products.

No breakout of motorcycle R&D but overall it appeared to be about 5% on
sales.

Overall their return on sales for motorcycles is about 7% whereas for
cars it is about 7.6%

>> Our other Connecticut BMW dealer is Canton Cycles...
>

> So, Lindners in New Canaan is closed up and gone now?

Sorry, I don't know.  Never heard of them, but I have only been back at
this for 18 months or so.  A quick web search only shows a Linder's in
Worchester, MA which sells used stuff.

cheers.... jack, '04 R1100SA, Waterford, Connecticut, U.S.A.