Longevity etc.

Paul:

Glad you've had good luck with your Guzzi.   I think "luck" is the key word
here.  Everyone I know with one of those things has some interesting horror
story about gawd-awful expensive repairs.   Changing out a clutch on those
pups is one of the worst jobs on any bike, from what I've heard.   I've also
heard about lots of problems with parts availability when something does go
wrong.   They are loveable machines, though, and unique in the bike world.
Many owners keep theirs for a long, long time.

I can't say that I haven't heard that there was an oil seal problem on many of
the transmissions on the early oilheads.   This was caused by a flaw...piece
of flashing or some such... on the casting where the seal is installed.  It
caused the seal to seat crooked in the casting and leak after a time and that
leak contaminates the clutch material.   This was replaced on my '99 RT under
warranty.  The oil hadn't got to the clutch yet, so they didn't replace it.
I was still on the original clutch at 62K when I traded the bike.  The bike
was running great and it could have run another 62K.   After all that time,
running the bike in winter on salty roads, in summer through all kinds of
grizzly conditions, the bike looked and ran fine.   No problems with the final
drive except that it did leak a little oil at one point.   I asked that a
spline lube be performed at about 30,000 miles during an Inspection.  They
found another seal leaking in the trans or engine case.   Again, covered under
warranty and, because a spline lube was part of the procedure for changing out
the bad seal, no charge for the spline lube.   No head gasket issues although
I heard that the head gasket design was changed somewhere along the line...
Maybe I was lucky?  Maybe you were unlucky?

My point is simply that the quality of materials, fit and finish etc. is like
that of a vehicle designed to be used every day, not like a weekend toy.
I'll be the first to agree that there are engineering issues with oilheads,
especially early 1100s.

I've had two recalls on my 1150 Twin Spark.  They were each fixed in no time
flat and neither caused any issues for me.  The only other problem I've had
was the brake indicator light kept coming on.   Turns out it was a brake light
bulb! There are two and one was bad.   Now I know to check the bulbs when this
light comes on again.  My new bike used a little oil until I got 18K or so on
it and finally switched to synthetic.  It's been pretty tight since, so far.
I did replace the plastic oil filler cap and opening with a metal screw-on
type because I don't like repairing the leak constantly.  The metal ones solve
it and then you don't have to think about it anymore.

As far a real-world use, listen to us complaining about bikes we've put in
excess of 50K miles on.   I know there are stories of people who've ridden
their Suzukis and even Ducatis for 100K miles, but they ain't the norm...at
all.   In our world, this is expected.
In the sport bike world, a bike with over 10 K is considered to have served
it's useful life.

The other real world aspects of BMW bikes that I like is that they have
storage options for touring, comfortable riding positions, great handling and
lots of good torque and engine braking available when you need them.   There
are lots of aftermarket accessories for these bikes that really work.
They're great in the hillls and you can ride two hundred miles on most of them
without stopping.

So call it wishful thinking, but I've not seen this combination of qualities
in another line although the YJ and ST 1300s are getting pretty close.   I've
owned a Ducati ST4 and just felt it was the wrong sort of a bike for long
distance touring.   It's got a chain.  It's got legendary Ducati
reliability...rumors of stuff like broken welds on the frames, camshaft
failures, long waits for replacement parts, warranty non-coverage issues.
It's got service requirements that are extreme for a touring bike because of
the desmo valve system.  All that and my bike had a clutch lever that made
carpal tunnel a certainty, a clutch that moaned on engagement and brakes that
made similar noises when you stopped too slowly.   It was a Ferrari red, sexy
thing and a favorite of the neighbors, but it wasn't fun enough to put up with
it's quirks.   I bought an Aprilia Mille and never looked back...much more fun
bike to ride and much less service required.   Still, I wouldn't take that
bike touring very far either because of the comfort factor.  It's good for a
weekend, not for a week.

Take care,

- -TB

tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

><< The BMW product line is a cut above any other brand when it comes to
 workmanship, longevity and practicality for real-world use.   >>

>I think this may be wishful thinking.  My '96 R1100RSL required a clutch and
head gasket replacement at 9K and at 41K the final drive, serviced per the
book and on a bike that is always lightly loaded and not abused, failed.

>My '97 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti  at 18K has so far required gas, uses less oil
than the RS, and has needed two sets of spark plugs and nothing repaired, only
serviced.  At this point it has the edge in workmanship and reliability.