From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Clive Liddell
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 1:43 AM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: customtankbags@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Longevity etc.

Jack, Linda,
Quote:
"The two major mechanical failures you mentioned could very well have
been related in some fashion: throw-out bearing and second gear.  If
you have confidence in the shop which made the repairs I would not
worry about or expect any further failures in that part of the drive ..."

I agree with the trouble being related to work done.. but... what are they
calling a "throw-out bearing" when there is no such thing (on an Oilhead and
many other Beemers anyway) - I wonder exactly what was wrong?  Possibly a
condescending reply to you, Linda, by the mechanic because it sort of sounds
important.  There is of course a throw-out mechanism but it's very different
from that of a stick shift car.

I also disagree with the popular activity of changing everything that moves
or splashes on the eve of going on a long trip etc.  Just doing the routine
services at the right time is all that's needed.

Hope your RT will now be 100%...

Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa