Re: ABS

Steve said:
>> Keep in mind that the degree
>> to which a rider misses a safety device during its absence in no way
>> affects
>> the effectiveness of that device when it is used correctly.

Said another way, we get no safety benefit from our helmet until we
crash.  We also get no benefit from the ABS until it saves us from a
crash.  One can say that his skill level is high enough to not need
abs.  But logic says that there is a situation that would cause you to
lock up and crash, even if it hasn't happened to you yet.

Robert said:
> But when I had ABS, I never really found a need for it. My
> motorcycling experience and the experience of a lot of other riders
> (judging by the larger number of motorcycles produced without ABS) is
> not lessened by the absence of it either.
When your experience changes for the worse, perhaps you will say 'I
coulda had ABS and not crashed"!  For me, the abs comes in with rear
wheel lockup in a panic stop.  I do that every time without abs.  With
the abs I can jam on the brakes and not worry.  I think that makes me
stop faster than I otherwise would.  In normal riding, I agree, no
benefit to abs.

> I guess next you will tell me I should have the power assisted brakes,
> simply because BMW offers it?
The power brakes are another thing.  BMW bikes do not test with the
shortest stopping distances, and I haven't seen any report that proves
power brakes improve performance.  That said, I have no problems with
the brakes on my new 1200GS so far (660 miles).

Bob Hadden '05R12GS, '62R27