Re: Best Statement on this list so far...

From: "Bruno Valeri" <bvaleri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't know what you mean by "that direction".

> In life we tend to get
> better to a point that allows us to function on a daily level.
> We tend to stay at that level because it is what our daily
> activities require.

Your tangent is a discussion unto itself. Sure people tend to acquire a
level of competency that allows them to function on a daily level, such as a
rider being able to apply brakes and safely bring his vehicle to a stop
(most of the time). But I am talking about somewhat different things: the
development of skills that negate the need for ABS on a motorcycle, and
bringing this to an "Unconscious Competent" level. I am sure that this is
possible, and that it has been done. But it is all too rare.

> Panic braking is typically not part of our daily activities. But
> if you rode on a track every day, hard braking skills would be.
> Depends on what you need.
>
> Having said that , developing braking skills - in case - you need
> them is a good thing. Ie if hard braking takes all your
> concentration ie conscious competent, you will have less
> processing power to deal with the situation than if hard braking
> is something you can do without thinking too much about it.
>
>> Experts in this field of study identify one more
>> condition that may follow Unconscious Competency.
>
> They don't have to be experts. Mothers do it every day as they
> assess the skills of their growing children.
> We are only talking of simple things here.
>
> I wanna drive a stick shift car and think that it's easy.
>     - I don't know that I don't know
> I take my first lesson and keep stalling the car and lurching it.
>     -I realize that I don't know and that there is a gap between
> what I can do and what I need to do.
> I develop some skill and manage to shift gears without stalling
> or lurching. but need to concentrate to do it.
>      - Conscious competency: I can do it but need to think about
> it
> I'm driving down the road, eating my burger and talking on the
> phone while shifting gears
>      - I can now do it without thinking about it.

The facet of this conversation that you are overlooking is that Unconscious
Competency can be applied to many different tasks -- being able to shift
gears on a manual transmission without thinking about it, as you note above,
is one of them. Being able to apply brakes on a motorcycle to attain maximum
stopping power without inducing a skid, is another. Being able to come out
on top in an engagement with a hostile aircraft is another. So I would not
typify what I'm talking about as "We are only talking of simple things
here."

> I have reached fighter pilot status. <G>

Indeed. Mothers do it all the time ;-)  My reference to "Experts in this
field" pertained to something substantially different than mommies raising
their kiddies.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada