Head light out?

I rode (99 RT) over to Post Falls Idaho on Friday morning taught a class
1-5 PM and headed on back to Everett (north of Seattle).  Around 6:30 PM
it's starting to get dark and I was having trouble seeing the road signs
and needed gas so I pulled off and I couldn't see anything.  Zipping up
to the pumps I hopped off and looked at the head light.  The small
"parking" light was working fine.  The regular low beam was not working,
the Hi-beam WAS NOT working, the flash to pass Hi-beam WAS working???
Being 45 miles from the nearest city that had an autoparts store and
motel I reluctantly got back on the freeway and followed cars & trucks
to the next town.

I pulled the headlight bulb and it looked fine.  The parts guy said it
had a spec of dust or summat on it and it was bad so I purchased a new
one and installed it.  Same thing!  Only flash to pass worked.  I pulled
the switch apart as well as I could in the low level of light and it was
dirty but I couldn't do anything at that time so I put it together and
found a room.  Looking at the Haynes I see it has no special fuse
(pulled all last night and they all look fine) and traded the load
relief relay with the horn relay and still nothing.  Any clues?  I
haven't gotten into checking any wires but thought I'd ask if anyone
else has come across this and what their fix was.

- --
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs   Everett, WA
www.pdq-signs.com