Final Drive & Paralever Bearings

Three really good answers (all all in agreement) - thanks much.

Gary Bechtold
'94 R1100RS

> Get a brass or Stainless steel brush ( like a  toothbrush) at the
hardware
> store. Carefully trim the bristles so that the brush  will fit within the
> diameter of the threads WITHOUT bending the bristles over  (if they bend
they will
> be useless). Heat the part around the thread, and while  it is hot, brush
out
> the old Loctite. Then dip the brush in some acetone (or  fingernail
polish
> remover-same thing) and carefully clean out the remaining  bits. It asi
VERY
> important to totally clean it out. A small hard bit ot Loctite  will
DESTROY the
> fine threads in the aluminum if left in there. The only time I  EVER let
> somebody else work on any motorcycle I ever owned, they destroyed my
swingarm bu
> trying to force the paralever pivot pin in through the hard  Loctite.
>
> Tom Cutter
> Yardley, PA
> "What's the point of being stupid  if you're not going to show it?"
> Rubber Chicken Racing Garage Apparel is  HERE! See it all at:
> http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com
>

> In the past I used soft wire-wheels, brass wheels, to clean the bolts and
Dermal small wire-wheels to clean internal thread.  If the internal thread
diameter is too small for wire-wheels then I used taps. It is better to use
the #1 tap of a "set-of-tap" not to oversize the existing thread.