re: Spark Plugs; report on BKR 7 EIX (8)

Multiple-electrode spark plugs, one of the great triumphs of marketing,
I believe. If one electrode is good, then seven must be WOW.

As I understand it, multiple electrodes were introduced as a
contribution of low maintenance: with all that metal, your gap is never
much worn. The fits with the car-like maintenance which The Factory
envisioned for the Oilheads. Since there is only a single spark, the
multiple electrodes serve no ignition purpose except to shutter the
spark up.

The single spark plug Oilheads obviously have some kind of spark
shortcoming, and that's pretty embarrassing with a centered electrode
in a four-valve head! The least sound solution would be multiple
electrodes and, again in my limited understanding, the best solution is
to buy those precious metal spark plugs that have tiny, carved away
electrodes which let the spark and the swirling mixture get as intimate
as possible.

I removed the two-electrode stock recommended plug and installed an NKG
iridium (about can$20 each) BKR 7 EIX (8) about 1500 miles ago in my
1999 R1100S with a Techlusion 1031 and K&N filter (but I am no fan of
K&N). Took the first peek today: very mild tan tint but well within the
OK range. The bit of tan suggesting too much city driving, to much
richness and/or coldness but not much reason to change plugs or heat
range. I couldn't expect better running than I am getting, if that is
some kind of praise for the plugs.

Denso makes really tiny electrode iridium plugs. Some platinum plugs
(the Autolites?) have carved electroduces too. The precious metal plugs
keep their gaps (that was their initial claim).

Having said all that, I don't think plugs usually make much of a
difference in performance and their easy access to change generates
more discussion than they merit, within broad limits. Often a new sharp
plug is helpful esp. with a weak ignition. Often ANY change seems
helpful. And having said that, I'd recommend the Autolite plugs or
maybe the trick platinums or  iridiums. But for sure, not
multi-electrode plugs.

Cheers.

Ben

Ben Barkow, Toronto... 39 seasons on Beemers, 44 as a biker

1961 R69s/rod, 1967-1999... really sup'ed up and fast

1984 R80RT/rod, 1998-2005  5 extra peak ponies in a wider flatter power
band,
   much modified 2-into-1 exhaust, CR 9.5, Keihin PJ 34mm oval carbs,
   Uni filter, dual-rate springs with cartridge emulators, BT45/S11,
Saeng fairing

1999 R1100S, 2004- Leo Vince exh, JetHot coatings, Techlusion 1031,
   K&N filter, 24 inch windscreen+Saeng edge