Re: A story about Oilhead Filler Caps

In a message dated 11/4/05 1:26:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Lessons learned.  1. Threaded filler caps are better than bayonett filler
 caps.  2.  Just take the cover off to install one of these metal inserts.
 It takes about 12 minutes and you do not want to drop the little screw down
 in the engine.

Just a word of a quick and dirty fix that may work for others.  The last time
I adjusted the valves on my R1100RSL I removed the filler insert, degreased
everything, and after reinserting it I applied a light coat of silicone seal
around the outside of the insert and let it set up.  That, a new Viton O-ring on
the cap and it's been dry ever since.

Paul
NJ