Re: Saeng Microswirl edging questions

> Two questions on Saeng edging:
> - - Is it available somewhere in Europe? Shipping costs are prohibitive
> from the US...
> - - Does it really raise the airstream by some 4"? I have the tall&wide
> windscreen since last week (BMW dealer had a second-hand aftermarket
> screen they let me have for 25 euros, not bad ;-)), but it's still not
> good enough. I'm 6'6", have a long back, and like sitting upright :-)
> so I'm still with my helmet full in the turbulence...

I rather like the products and people at Saeng (but Saunders who was an
aeronautical engineer (AKA Rocket Scientist) has little connection with
the firm now). Their 1990 fairing/windscreen is a classic for the ages.

The rather pricey edging - appearance issues and added weight at the
end of the windscreen aside - is nicely designed and holds itself in
place with cast-in spring clips. It does indeed shove the airstream
about 2 inches. That may result in a beneficial re-location of the
turbulence band and increase your area of unimpeded road vision. I
suppose it adds slightly to the air resistance which is already rather
poor on bikes.

But it does not deflect bugs and dirt to the extent that it deflects
air. Of course, you may find this a delightful dessert after a heavy
lunch.

For sure, management of wind and consequences for physical and aural
comfort are very important for all but the Boy Racer crowd. It is
worthwhile to take the time to sort it out since with a little thought
and effort you can increase your enjoyment during years of riding.

You can have the wind hit you below mid-chest and the noisy turbulence
band would be below your helmet and ears. But then you still have all
that wind to contend with. Some folks like that.

Without too much trouble you can raise and angle (48 degrees) a
windscreen to have the blast hit at eyebrow level or just above. For
most people with ears normally situated, that works well. That means
you will also be looking over the windscreen and have a good view of
looming potholes as you are about to hit them and also minimize wind
noise, rain, bugs, etc.

The cafe-racer R1100S is a bit different. You can ride it nose to the
tank, if your neck is very flexible or if you just don't care who is
behind you. Like some buildings, this otherwise wonderful bike was
designed in some respects (like some architectural wonders) to look
better in photographs than to occupy. If you prefer a partial or fully
upright position, you'll need a variety of add-ons and the windscreen
has to be maybe 25 inches or more stem to stern.

I'm glad to reply to anyone with a Word file of a little text of mine,
"Throttle, posture, and related motorcycle ergonomics."

Up to 35 degrees today, and I'm outta here.

Cheers.

Ben

Ben Barkow, Toronto... 40 seasons on Beemers, 45 as a biker

1961 R69s/rod, 1967-1999... really sup'ed up and fast

1984 R80RT/rod, 1998-2005  5 extra peak ponies in a wider flatter power
band,
   much modified 2-into-1 exhaust, CR 9.5, Keihin PJ 34mm oval carbs,
   Uni filter, dual-rate springs with cartridge emulators, BT45/S11,
Saeng fairing

1999 R1100S, 2004- Leo Vince exh, JetHot coatings, Techlusion 1031,
   large sticky foam filter, TB balance tube, 26 inch windscreen, air
horns, Diablo Stratas