Inlet

I agree with Wayne.  Spray some gum-out or other carb or FI cleaner around
the area and see if you get a change in the engine sound.   It could
accelerate a little but it will probably sound like a stumble because it
will be out of synch with the other cylinder.

It's not clear from the photo to me that the rubber has degraded or where
the wetness is coming from.  Is that fuel or oil?   Could it have come from
something above?

It's not normal for this rubber to dry out, but it's possible.    You don't
want to leave an air leak there for many miles.  The bike will run lean
whenever an air leak occurs after the FI and before the engine.  FI cannot
compensate because all the mixing has already done upstream of the air leak.

- -TB

>Was wondering if anyone could take a look at this photo and give me a
>general impression. (Feb'97 R1100R)
>
>The rubber inlet hose is dry and cracking on the rim (on both sides of
>the bike, evenly), and the head-side edge is starting to weep. The photo
>shows a fair amount of buildup that has been from around 1500mi or so.
>When I hit 100mph or so, the black-plastic throttle shield gets some
>vapor on it.
>
>http://newmercenaries.com/moto/inlet.jpg
>
>Is this normal wear for these 8-year old parts, or indicative of
>problems? (Bike is garaged.)

Another trick/test would be to spray gum-out around this area.  If the
engine stumbles, you are leaking air.

Wayne Woodruff
http://www.jtan.com/~wayne