Wiring discussion

I've been doing some dissecting on a defunct wire harness. My first quite successful project was to cancel out the safety disconnect for my side-stand and rewire to the horn. Now if there is a failure with the wiring/switches/relays associated with the side-stand "alarm", the bike will not be stuck on the side of the road.

  I did some more dissecting and learned there are a whole bunch of wires running all through the bike... wires that can break.... connections buried, rapped in tape in inaccessible places. Why run wires all through a bike when you can ground to the bike, right on the spot? Wires break, so why wrap so many together? Doing so confuses the issue further when you have to find a problem. My fuel injectors have a ground wire that travel deep into a mess of wires wrapped in tape, only to end up grounding to the bike somewhere waaaaay down the line.

  Why not ground these wires right near the injectors? Placing the ground to the bike, near the injectors, places a potential  bad ground in a logical place, in plane view. What am I missing? I'm ready to cut all these particular "green w/yellow stripe" wires which wind all over the bike and are all associated with the side-stand, clutch, and kill switch safety disconnects. I could ground various relays in the fuse box associated with these looooong wires running everywhere. The fuel injectors. The kill switch can remain by grounding right at the switch. Comments, suggestions?

Doug Saylor
727.831.3111

Heavily medicated for your protection!

Things to live for:

- -alt.binaries.howard-stern

- -iPod shuffle (loaded with Howard Stern)

- -1995 BMW R1100R... >110K, runs great AND is an award winning bike! (Rat Bike @ the 2004 Poverty Riders Rally)