RE: Preload importance; Factory Knows Best

Maybe I'm missing something here but I'll take a shot at it.

When my ride on the highway is to bummpy and harsh, I take off a few
clicks (ie go from high to medium or low) and the ride is smoother.
On the same token if I go two up and forget to adjust my pre-load
back down to high, I will drag my center stand on the curves.

When getting my bike set up, to decrease the amount of travel he
adjusted my pre-load (I saw the measurement).

Since pre-load has little consequence in my riding, why did he adjust
it to make my bike handle better on the curves. If it wasn't a
necessary adjustment why waste time doing it?

At 09:30 AM 2/14/2006, Minor, Bob wrote:
><<As I said, except for extreme settings, preload has little consequence
>for riders off the racetrack. Certain people with a poor grasp of high
>school physics may not agree.>>
>

>So I've been wasting my time increasing the preload when my wife rides
>on the back?  Geez, I could have sworn the bike felt more stable and
>less vague up front.

2002 R1150r
BMWMOA # 117910
San Francisco, CA