Re: Preload importance; Factory Knows Best

On 2/14/06, Ben Barkow <dr.ben@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As I said, except for extreme settings, preload has little consequence
> for riders off the racetrack. Certain people with a poor grasp of high
> school physics may not agree.
>
> But compression finesse matters a lot. But having compression damping
> adjustment is too pricey for BMW to include. Therefore, if you want
> really good handling, I think Tom's advice is to ask BMW what your
> correct weight should be and then diet accordingly ("Factory knows
> best"... eh).
>
> However preload can have important consequences for a non-handling
> issue: parking. It influences the height of the bike so when you are
> dismounted it can change the ease of getting your machine up on the
> centerstand (and correspondingly, the ease of tipping over on the
> centerstand when all your wheels are touching the ground on irregular
> terrains) and likewise influences stability on the sidestand too.
>
> The astute reader will quickly recognize the possible need for raising
> rear preload when parking a heavily loaded bike.

Hi Ben,

Don't you consider using preload to compensate for added loads
(luggage, passenger or both) to be "of consequence"?

- --
Bob

                      Eventual Master of the Obvious
        R1200GS CB750F DoD EMOTO BMWMOA SOHC4
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...