Re: oilheads-digest V3 #48

In a message dated 4/4/06 9:05:49 AM Eastern  Standard Time,
egrohe@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Though I am sure what you did was  summarize the BMW method of 2 x 90
degrees  as 180 degrees I have  always interpreted it as a primary
tightening to 20 Nm  and then  tighten by a 90 degree "turn of the nut"
according to the prescribed pattern  and then a second  tightening by
another 90 degrees in the prescribed  pattern.>>

BMW issued a bulletin about nine years ago revising  the method to 180:. I
have found that to "feel" much more consistent.

I  guess the real proof is that I have never had to replace a head gasket for
any  of my customers who had leaks. I just give a normal retorque and they
are good  to go. The leakage stops.

Tom Cutter
Yardley,  PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com