Re: cylinder studs: torque or length?

On 4/4/06, jmerlinw <jmerlinw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Original poster of "cylinder studs: torque or length"
>
> Thanks to all of you who commented. I was interested in torque figures for
> the cylinder STUDS. Many of you commented on the procedure for torquing the
> cylinder head NUTS. But we all learned some new approaches.
>
> Bottom line, I think I heard a (small) consensus say that the cyclinder
> studs are just turned to the proper depth of exposed stud (152.5mm for three
> studs, 132mm for one). Mine will be just finger tight at that depth (well,
> maybe 5Nm). I'll probably dope them up HT thread lock.
>
> Any last comments before I button her up?

I haven't had the heads off on a boxer yet, so perhaps my question is
silly, but is heavy thread locker on the bottom end of the studs
really necessary? Will the studs just spin if not anchored, or will
their threads stretch and hold as the nut puts tension on?  Usually
BMW is really good about specifying when/where to use thread locker,
so if they have not, why are we concerned?

Just my inquisitive nature, trying to understand.

Thanks,

Bob