Re: cylinder studs: torque or length?

Bob:

There is mention on some forums of oilhead cyclinder studs working loose -
having the same effect as the cylinder head nuts loosening, which is a
common cause of oil weeping through the head gasket.

I figure that if you can't get the studs anchored properly (the definition
of which is my quest) you could get creep in the stud which would lower the
effective torque on the nut and ... an oil leak.

Just my guess - bolstered by the suspicion that this was what caused the
slow oil leak that got me to remove the heads, after tightening the nuts
twice properly in 6,000 miles (which did not stop the leak).

But thanks, Bob

John Merlin Williams
1999 R1100RS
1999 Ducati SS 750
Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
John
- --
Sent from the BMW Oilheads forum at Nabble.com.