Head Stud and Nut Torqueing

John:

Not sure which "Tom" you're referring to, but I think you're on track with new
studs, no locktight, setting the new studs by length, using a new head gasket
and following the 20nm 90 - 90 procedure in sequence as described in the shop
manual.    I doubt that the threads are stripped.  There are a lot of threads
there.   I woudn't attempt to heli-coil unless all this really and certainly
doesn't work.

Very slick attachment, by the way, with the illustration and the entire thread
all together in one document.

Good luck.   I think it'll work.

- -TB

Tom and Bob:

Thanks so much for this recent round of input - I feel like I am getting
some advice on the studs issue that makes good sense. Definitely I will be
replacing the studs.

Is it possible that over-torquing the head nuts would have stripped the
aluminum threads in the case? I have considered helicoiling all the stud
holes, but am stymied: two of the four studs have locating collars around
them which are smaller ID than the helicoil OD. I suppose these are press
fit? I'm just concerned about overboring those holes during the helicoil
process. So I hink I will just go with new studs (no threadlock), head
gasket and a very intentional torquing of the head nuts (20Nm+90+90).

http://www.nabble.com/user-images/2621.png

Thanks again.

John Merlin Williams
1999 R1100RS