RE: Bad news

If it is the rear drive I noticed that Beemer Boneyard has some used
ones in stock and ready to go.   http://www.beemerboneyard.com/

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of RSRiding@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 3:50 PM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Bad news

Wednesday evening as I returned home from work, I had a problem with my
'94
R1100RS.
After pausing at a 4-way stop intersection, I began to accelerate. The
bike
was running fine but suddenly began to slow. There were some large
clattering/clanking sounds from somewhere but I had no time to determine
where as I came
to a complete stop within less than 100 feet. There had been no warning
signs,
no earlier sounds, nothing.

I can still shift gears and the bike will idle just fine in neutral.
However,
the rear wheel appears to be totally locked up with virtually no play
available (in neutral) when I try to move it by hand.

A towing company was called and they came out with a trailer to take it
away.
They had a pretty cool trailer that electrically dropped from several
inches
off the ground to flush on the ground. As we (me plus the two guys that
came
from the towing company) pushed/pulled/cajoled the bike onto the
trailer, it
appeared the wheel rotated slightly but not much.

I realize this is not much to go on, but I'm open to ideas of what might
have
happened. I'm figuring that I've been bitten by the dreaded BMW rear
drive
failure. This is the bike I rode on the Iron Butt Rally last summer
where I
logged 16,000 miles in 16,000 without a burp. Now, 3,000 miles later,
this
happens. The bike received a full service both before leaving and after
returning
from the rally, so if I got what I paid for in the way of service, it
shouldn't
be related to a lack of maintenance.

Was I just lucky last summer and it now be my time for failure? The bike
now
has 68,000 miles total on it and I was hoping that by having gone that
long I
had dodged the rear drive failure bullet. The bike is now sitting in the
local
BMW dealership, but they warned me that they were really backed up and
wouldn't even be able to look at it for a while.

Geoffrey Greene
Knoxville, Tennessee