  From: Steve Makohin
  To: IBMWR List ; Oilheads List
  Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 10:54 AM
  Subject: Requesting list wisdom re gel battery and Battery Tender Plus

  Hello all,

  What is the list wisdom regarding a gel battery and a Battery Tender Plus? I
  am aware that the makers of the Battery Tender tell you you need a special
  Tender, as does BMW. My mechanic says the gel batteries have not been in the
  field long enough to conclude if there is any harm done by using a standard
  Battery Tender, and that he knows of no cases where he can attribute a gel
  battery's demise to using a standard Tender vs a special gel Tender.

  What's your take? I live in a part of the country where we see several weeks
  of 90'F temps, as well as sitting dormant over the winter at below freezing
  temps.

  -Steve Makohin
   '01 R1100S/ABS
   Oakville, Ontario, Canada