Re: Commuter Tires

In a message dated 4/25/06 5:10:00 AM Eastern  Standard Time,
jackbunce@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> ... The Z6 has better feel  and ultimate cornering, but it behaves rather
badly
> when worn and there  are no tread wear markers on the back.  You just ride
'em
> until the  cords start to show through...

No, there ARE tread wear markers on the Z6  rear tires.  They are a bit
difficult to read but they are there.   Check the sidewalls for the TWI
markings.
There is another "final" tread  wear indicator on the Z6 tire. When the
center of the tire shows cord, it is  finished. There is actually about 3 mm of
rubber UNDER that cord, the top layer  of cord is apparently an indicator, too. I
have returned from two long rides  with the cord showing on Z6's, and the
tires still behaved acceptably in hard  cornering and braking.

One ride last fall, a fellow stopped me about a  mile from my house to tell
me that there were sparks coming from my tires. The  Z6 had worn all the way
into the steel cables that run circumferentially around  the center. The cables
were 1/2 worn off when I cut them to look at them. I  think iI ran that one a
little too far, but that tire showed NO excess tread  wear when I left
buckhannon WV that morning, and was deep into the cables within  500 miles of
backroad running. (I don't do slab)

Tom Cutter
Yardley,  PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com