Re: Commuter Tires

Another solution to a long lasting tire...
Last year before the Iron Butt Rally, I had determined that I wanted to go
the entire event (11,000+ plus miles added to the 1500 to and from Denver from
home) without having to worry about a tire change. One of the guys in the
IBAssociation commented that the bias ply version of the ME880 was a good long
lasting tire. I was referred to someone that had a K12LT rear wheel for sale that
would fit my R11RS. It, being a 17" wheel, would be just about the same
circumference with the bias ply tire mounted as the stock 18" wheel with its radial
tire (and shorter sidewalls).

After the requisite exchange of $$ for a wheel and a set of ME880s, I found
myself with a long-lasting set of bias ply tires mounted on the RS. If the rear
wheel ends up being about the same size, I suppose the front assembly is
slightly larger in circumference, but I never noticed a problem from it.

I rode through some fairly intense storms in both Florida and Nebraska,
blitzed some delightfully curvy roads in the Appalachian Mountains, and never had a
problem with grip. Total mileage in the 16 days from home and back was a bit
over 16,000 miles. And true to everyone's words, the ME880s lasted all of that
and then some. The rear was noticably flattened in the center, but still has
miles left in it. The front looked almost brand new...to me, it was more
surprising than the high mileage rear.

I don't know if there is as easy a swap (wheel for wheel) for whatever bike
our commuter friend is riding, but this one was pretty darn painless and has
worked like a charm. I'm wearing out the radials I took off to mount the bias
ply tires and will then go back to the bias plies to see just how many more mile
s I can get out of these tires. For my kind of riding, the bias ply tires work
just fine.

Geoffrey Greene
Knoxville, Tennessee

In a message dated 4/26/2006 11:17:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,