Test ride on R1200S and R1200RT

Hello all,

For folks who are wondering what the new R1200S and R1200RT are like, read
on. Otherwise, hit delete.

Just to cut to the chase, the answer in both cases is "really nice". I am a
6'2", 185 lb, R1100S rider of 6 years, and I do moderately brisk riding with
occasional long rides, just to give you a context. This write-up will be
fairly short, and in bullet form (rather than narrative paragraphs) to get
more info in with fewer words. The weather was 50'F during a 25 km test
ride. This is NOT a comprehensive evaluation.

R1200S

 o Configuration included Ohlins shocks, wide rear tire, defeatable ABS
 o Shake at startup is considerably diminished
 o Dual-spark engine starts easily. Fast-idle lever is gone.
 o Engine is freer revving, spooling up more quickly when blipped
 o Weight is down about 30 lbs, and crank power is up 20% to 120.
   As expected, the bike feels lighter and quicker.
 o Off the stand, the bike feels a little lighter. No center stand is
   available.
 o Rear mirrors provide excellent visibility, with reduced vibration as
   compared to the R1100S, but still some blurriness at speed
 o Ergonomics are similar to the R1100S with the non-adjustable clip-ons
 o The R1100S has the most intense vibrations of any boxer. The R1200S
   is considerably improved with its counter-balanced engine. Vibrations
   are slight at 5000+ RPM, but a non-issue.
 o Wind protection is similar to the previous S, which is surprising when
   you see a narrower fairing without visible hand protection. At 100 kph,
   you get a light breeze on your hands, so wind deflection is good.
 o Low fuel light has been replaced with an LCD bar + count that counts
   down from 100 km to indicate remaining distance left on available
   fuel. A BMW rep indicates it is "pretty accurate".
 o LCD dash board now shows oil temp, two trip distance counters, and
   some other niceties. Speedo and tach are analog-style, oval, black on
   white dials.
 o Throttle response is linear. Engine response is instantaneous. No
   surging. No rough or flat spots. This is one very sweet engine.
 o Transmission is sure, quiet, easily engaged, and without false
   neutrals. Real neutral is easy to find.
 o Expandable sport bags are available. They are a fair bit smaller than
   the humongous System Cases, and not water-proof.
 o I dialed in 160 kph on an onramp before I looked down to see I was
   going pretty damned quick.
 o Exhaust note is deeper than the previous S, but nowhere near as
   robust as a Ducati 998. Still, it may be just enough to discourage
   getting after-market pipes. At speed, all you hear is wind noise.

with the Italians and Asian twins, while still retaining the every day
drivability of a BMW. If you like sporty twins, this bike is a "must try".
It may even wow you.

R1200RT

 o My first ride on a touring bike of any variety. Feels a little top-heavy
   compared to what I'm used to, but easy to get used to within minutes.
 o "Sit up and beg" riding position with non-adjustable bar height would
   make all-day rides a breeze, though I'd prefer lower bars (it's just what
   I'm used to).
 o Power adjustable wind screen really works to let you easily find a
   position that provides a quiet ride, shielded from the elements, and
   yet with enough wind flow to keep cool during warm days.
 o The maligned side mirrors worked nicely for my height, without any
   signs of shake, and with good side-rear visibility.
 o Dash board has a multi-function computer that can step through
   various displays via a thumb button.
 o The engine is seriously sweet! It starts easily (fast idle lever is gone)
   and quickly settles into a smooth idle.
 o Throttle response is linear. Engine response is instantaneous. No
   surging. No rough or flat spots. There is a bit of drive lash in the
   on-to-off throttle transition.
 o The counter-balanced engine is surprisingly smooth, specially when
   considering this is a big twin. Vibrations are very subtle, verging on
   K-bike territory.
 o Power delivery is brisk, and always on tap. You only get reminders
   that you're on a twin if you lug the engine, when you feel the lower-
   frequency power pulses.
 o Transmission is sure, quiet, easily engaged, and without false
   neutrals. Real neutral is easy to find.
 o Sure-footed and confidence inspiring, I had to remind myself to take
   it easy on this borrowed bike, because it could easily be ridden in
   a sporty manner.

this is a great bike! Boxer lovers can love it for it's wide, flat torque
curve, while people who prefer 4 cylinder bikes may even consider this bike
for its smoothness.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada