From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mick
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 5:49 AM
To: Jim Lundberg
Cc: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: main beam / dipped beam

At 06:04 AM 6/7/2006 +0200, you wrote:
>While out riding my 97 R1100R last weekend, both main and dipped beam
>failed.
>
>Initial inspection reveals that neither bulb nor fuses are blown.  The
main
>beam will however work if I hold down the "flasher".  I have started to
>suspect that perhaps there is a relay involved and that this might be
>faulty.
>
>Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this model, or experience of a
similar
>problem?

Jim,
   There are no fuses and no relays in the headlamp circuit.
I suspect your Hi/Lo switch is bad.  Open it up and check the
condition of the sliding and fixed contacts.  The contacts get
dirty and create heat.  This allows the fixed contacts to recede
in the housing and they no longer make contact.
   When you take it apart, do it on a big sheet or inside a plastic
bag.  there are a few tiny springs that WILL go flying.
   I've attached a schematic that should help.

Mick
Tucson

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name
of FrameWiring.jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]