Re: '96 R1100RSL

On 6/15/06, Kali Music/Murali Levine <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Friends,
> I've been riding BMW since 1973, am a member of the Airheads Club (7708)
> and BMWMOA (42973).  I currently ride an '84 R80RT.
> I'm contemplating the purchase of my first Oilhead, a '96 R1100RSL w/55k
> miles on her.  Are there any points in particular that I should watch
> out for?

Hi,

I had a 1996 RSA (the ABS version, not the L with the long fairing,
but otherwise identical) and put over 50k miles on before I sold it. I
liked the bike, but think the transmission and main seal are the two
areas that bear scrutiny. If the main seal is weeping, you will have
to pull the tranny to replace it, and most likely the clutch plate
will be ruined and need replacement. This happened on mine. Although
the 1996 is better than the first oilhead transmissions, many have had
problems that required repair. I'll let someone like Tom speak to the
specifics, since I haven't been inside one myself.

Although not what you asked, if it is at all possible for you, I would
advise skipping that whole series and going to one of the new hexhead
bikes. The R1200ST would be closest to an RS. These bikes have more
power and less weight and feature a superb transmission. I picked up
an R1200GS to replace my R1100RS and couldn't be happier. Go take a
test ride on one, if you can.

Bob