Re: The Low-Down on Bike ABS, Linked and EVO Brakes

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ben Barkow <dr.ben@xxxxxxxxx>
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:12:58 -0400
Subject: Re: The Low-Down on Bike ABS, Linked and EVO Brakes

I'm puzzled about ABS. I had assumed that ABS action is triggered by a discrepancy between the speeds of the front and rear wheels. Therefore, it only comes into play when one wheel (or both!) is just an epsilon beyond the point of "gone beyond" relatively-static-like rolling friction which is, I thought, already beyond the point of maximum grab of the pavement once a wheel starts skidding.

I suppose it is true that a brilliant human braker can beat an ABS machine, but there can be lots of reasons for that.

Help please.

Ben
Toronto

As I understand it , ABS is activated when one wheel stops turning and the others ones are still turning.   It isn't just the difference of the rate of turning as you suggested.     It is possible to skid all 4 wheels of a car, since they all stop turning at the same time, the abs thinks you are stopped and doesn't activate.   I assume the same holds true with two wheels.   Has anyone ever tried to lock both wheels up totally?

When ABS was first introduced they called them Anti-skid brakes...but then realized that is not true, and didn't want to give the impression that you couldn't skid out of control.

paige