Re: '96 R1100RSL

Thanks to all that replied to my question a few weeks ago about looseness of the ball joint in the A-arm of my GS.

The A-arm was inspected and found to be in good shape. No cracks or excessive wear, despite the stud being loose!

The ball joint had the boot split halfway across the back and some roughness and notchiness. I replaced the part at a cost of about $116.

I was curious too about the upper ball joint a few people had mentioned. It is only on the RS. On my GS the upper thrust bearing seemed smooth enough so I left it as is.

On reassembling everything and putting on my new Metezeler front I took the bike off the center stand and applied the brakes to seat eveything and for the second time in this bike's history one of the brake hoses ballooned out right by the crimp to the banjo.

So the bike is still off the road waiting for a new brake hose.

I don't recall ever seeing a hose thread. Has anyone else experienced this ballooning issue? Seems like it could be a deadly one if not noticed.

Oh and in the parts reference Mick and Paul were discussing, the list shows the joint as #2 and the diagram as #3!

I'm also curious about the "core" designation. I didn't have to return the old one and cannot really see the value of doing so. Could I have saved some money here? Does BMW remanufacture the joints or do some post-mortem on them?

Happy riding!
Tim McColm
'95 R1100GSA 110,000 miles

Mick <bmwmick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: At 01:06 PM 6/15/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/15/06 12:23:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>bmwmick@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< I'm curious, how did you change "Top and bottom ball joints" ?  I
>  only see ONE ball joint on all the Telelever bikes.
>   >>

>IIRC it was only the GSs that had one, I have a '96 RSL and there's defintely
>two.
>
>Cheers
>Paul
>NJ

Paul,
   I'm feeling pretty stupid here, can you point out the TWO ball joints
on this diagram?  http://tinyurl.com/muwol  I only see one ball joint
at the telelever, #13.

Now I see it, Item #2 here http://tinyurl.com/qaf86

Thanks,