RE: Oil Filter

Bill,
Every BMW filter I've used has been manufactured in Austria.
Regards
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
'96 R850R 85kkm
'01 R1100RT 75kkm
===========================

The original filter appears to be a Mahle OC91.
The Mann, a popular filter for Mercedes, Volvo and Bimmers is MW712.

None of these are sufficient savings over the stock to warrant the purchase
unless you buy local at list price for the beemer. A case (10) of OC91's can
be found for $115, not a savings if you mail order sufficient numbers to
beat the shipping cost from VA (Hammersley).

I was more interested in finding a better filter, one like the pure-1 that
uses an additional layer to improve small particle filtration, that uses
silicon rubber as the seal for the internal valves and one that has a higher
surface area of filtration than stock. The Pure-1 would be nice, the
mobil-1 better. However, I will not use a filter that is simply cross
referenced or looks the same. There are too many variables involved and I no
longer have access to facilities to properly test an oil filter in an engine
simulator or the actual engine.

The Bosch, if made in the US, is probably a Champions Lab, which means it
could be anything from OK to excellent.