Re: The Low-Down on Bike ABS, Linked and EVO Brakes

Hello Tom,

From: Tom Cutter <Tpcutter@xxxxxxx>

> In a message dated 6/14/06 12:56:59 PM Eastern  Standard Time,
> wayne@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> "Maximum stopping power, that is the  greatest rate of deceleration, can
> be attained just *before* a wheel locks  up."
>
> I would argue that the maximum coefficient of friction is when the
> wheel *is* locked up, therefore, the greatest rate of deceleration.   >>
>
> I would strenuously disagree. If you have ever locked a front  wheel, you
> can
> FEEL the bike speed up as it slides.

Respectfully, I am not certain if you are talking purely about the stopping
power of rubber again road, or if you have introduced a "tongue in cheek"
comment with respect to the phrase "as it slides" (i.e., rider locks up the
front tire, drops the bike, and now it slides as a mass of plastic and metal
skittering along pavement).

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada