Re: Wait one friggin' minute!

Most modern engines that use a coil per cylinder "waste a spark" on the
exhaust stroke as a method to keep the plugs clean. Since the pressure in
the cylinder is low and the atmosphere is reducing, there is no possible
erosion or oxidation of the metallic parts. This is an old trick that has
again become popular as a way to improve emissions.

No, the fuel injector is not firing during the exhaust stroke. With a
carburetor, some fuel would start to flow during overlap at the TDC when
both valves are open, but with port injection, this is not necessary.

At 23:47 06/20/2006, you wrote:

>    I was told by someone who should know... I know that an Oilhead throws
> a spark on both cylinders (wasted spark) but does the FUEL INJECTOR GO
> OFF TOO!!??
>

>ABSDoug (Heavily medicated for your protection!)
>
>If you think "god" is doing a good job: YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!!
>
>THE LOVE OF MY LIFE: 1995 BMW R1100R. 117K, runs great! ~ M97
>transmission, thanks to BMWNA for picking up 1/2 the bill well after the
>warranty expired ~ Swapped my O2 sensor for a CO Potentiometer, jumper
>from #5-#6 @ Motronic socket, thanks to which I get 39-44MPG & NO surging
>~ "Freedom Mount" with K100RS handlebars ~ Bar-end mirrors ~ Staintune
>exhaust, low of course ~ RS/RT/S System Cases ~ Ohlins F/R ~ Custom
>reversed shifter("GP" style) ~ 31/11 (2.82) final drive off an RS ~ K&N
>(cause I'm cheap) ~ Autolite 3923 spark plugs (cause I'm cheap & they help
>w/ surging issue) ~ External fuel filter ~ Kisan Signal Minder (cause the
>OEM burnt out TWICE) ~ Carbon canister removed ~ Fiamm horn (cause the
>stock one is gay) ~ Custom setup for kickstand: Horn sounds rather then
>killing the bike. One less thing to leave you stuck! Also allows starting
>on side-stand.
>

>--

- -------------------
William (Bill) Moss
         billmoss@xxxxxxx

Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and
those who dare not, are slaves.
         Lord Byron
God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard
and defend it.
       Daniel Webster
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.