STP additive or dead fuel pump?

Okay... So I went to the store and picked up some "STP Gas Treatment" (
http://stp.com/fuel_treat.html ) because we've been having lots of rain
and humidity/condensation at night. That, and in the nine months I've
had the bike I've never emptied the tank to get any water out, or change
the fuel filter, etc. (I was going to change the fuel filter this
weekend, but that's another matter.)

The product claims to be "engineered to remove water" so I thought hey
why not.. can't hurt anything since "this product is safe for all
gasoline engines."

So, I pour this stuff into my tank when I exit the store, and now the
bike doesn't start. (On my way to the store I had taken a 40-mile
detour/ride and nothing seemed amiss.)

I thought I had better get this stuff out of the bike asap, and was
planning on removing the tank and dumping the fuel to make way for a
fresh 5.5 gallons. After I walked the bike 2+ miles to my garage (thank
goodness it was 2:00am), that's when I noticed there's no 'whirr' sound
when I flip the kill switch to the start position.

(I'm not sure if the 'whirr' sound was there when I first tried to start
the bike after adding the STP.)

Is that noise the fuel pump? Did this additive damage the pump? Or did I
by trying to start it too much? Is it just a coincidence and the STP
stuff has nothing to do with the problem?

Tank is off, fuel is drained as much as I could manage. While I was
following the Clymer to get it removed, and depressurizing the fuel
system, practically all the gas came out of the tank. The book said "a
little" would come out, but no, it was around 4.5 gallons. Dead pump's
valve stuck open or something? STP to blame?

'97 R1100R, ~51k mi.

thanks
Mark