Re: Alternator Belt service

In a message dated 7/30/06 5:32:28 PM Eastern  Standard Time,
gatoor@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
I have a 2000 R1000RS and I was  noticing there is some comment on the faq's
about the new (updated)  alternator belt and pulley's. When did they do that
update do I need a new  belt and pulley's or does my 2000 have the later
pulleys?
Thanks Gator in  Dallas>>

>From th34e BMW service bulletin titled "ELAST  Belts"

"The upgrade happened in R 1100 S, R 1150 R, R 1150 GS, R 1150  RS, and R
1150 RT with 50Aalternator. (Models with 40A alternator are  excluded)

All R 259 opposed twin models from July 2003 production and  onward have been
fitted with the New ELAST Belt and pulley with  Freewheel."

The whole pulley setup and belt must be upgraded if you wish  to make the
change. Yopu will also need several BMW tools to make the proper  initial
adjustment of the belt.

The ELAST belts fail, too...

Tom  Cutter
Yardley, PA