Re: Premature clutch failure

OK.  Now we have the info, let's confirm that the clutch is good.  At
17k  you would have to be a really bad driver to have used up the
clutch disc!  I doubt that is the case.  First, you want to revisit the
adjustment down at the screw at the back of the tranny.  Perhaps the
lock nut is loose and the adjuster just slipped?  If that is in order,
check the cable for freyed(sp?) ends.  Perhaps the cable is about to
break?

Now for what I really think might be the issues.
1 - Perhaps you need a spline lube and the clutch simply hangs up on
the splines a bit.
2 - Perhaps you have a seal (motor rear main, or tranny front seal)
leaking oil onto the disc.

That's about it for options that I think of.  You should be able to put
the bike in second or third while underway, hold the engine at say 4k
rpm and let go the clutch lever.  The clutch should grab and hold.  If
not, you have a problem above.

Bob Hadden '05R12GS is gone, '62R27