RE: Speedometer saved me money and Splines killed my bike

You must be livin' right!

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Gregory Appling
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 7:46 AM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Speedometer saved me money and Splines killed my bike

My bike is a 2002 R1150R

So a few months back my speedomter started reading pretty fast while the
bike was sitting still. Usually it would do about 30mph in the parking
lot while I was inside:). I mention this to the list back then under a
different e-mail address.

So finally I got it to mess up while I was on the way to the dealer and
so they planned to fix it while I was on vacation. I also had told them
I had problems with the shifter sticking but they could never reproduce
that problem so they kept telling me everything seemed fine.

So while I was in England enjoying my vacation, during the test ride
after replacing the speedometer, my bike died right there on the test
ride (August 24th). So last week I got this e-mail from them.

"the splines on your clutch are stripped out along with damaging the
splines on the input shaft on the gearbox.  We also found that the
clutch slave cylinder failed the input seal on the final drive and
output seal on the gearbox have also failed."       So my bike is
currently dead in the shop...... Did I mention my extended warrant runs
out Sept 15th:)

So it seems that the warranty will cover all of that. So my speedometer
taking so long to fail so I could take the bike in helped everything
else to final fail at the right time.

gregory

**PLEASE NOTE NEW PHONE NUMBER**
Gregory Appling