Re: MAC-PAC: Euro Gossip: Bike Airbags a Good Thing, BMW to follow? BMW super bike?

<<Remember that crash dummies work only on inertia and no clenching. Or
intension to leap up at the last minute, or pivot around the
handlebars.

So far I have not seen DATA on how people react in crashes. (Re-entry
over 40 riders, no clue what they might do.) >>

That is funny. During the sudden deceleration of a crash scenario, the
rider weighs, effectively, about five thousand pounds. Whether or not
he hangs on is irrelevant. I have had a humb dislocated and almost torn
off in a straightforward getoff. I witnessed a rider at Summit Point
this spring try to hold onto the bars during a highside. That only
succeeded in launching her about a hundred feet through the air over
the tire wall and into the trees. They Medivaced her out and she hasn't
raced since.

In crashes, people go wherever the physics throw them. Clenching?

Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA
www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com

across the web, free AOL Mail and more.