Re: GasMileage/Surging

In a message dated 9/26/06 9:32:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wateredg@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Correct. But "not knowing how something works" may lead one to wrong
 conclusions, such as a specific brand of spark plugs being a magic bullet
 for surging. Some Oilhead owners cured their surging with Autolite plugs.
 Others tried them and said their bike still surged. The "Faithful Followers"
 swear by Autolite plugs, because they worked for them, and they spread the
 gospel. Unfortunately, the gospel may not apply to others. Or even to a
 "Faithful Follower" who gets another Oilhead, finds that it surges, puts in
 the trusty Autolites, and is shocked to learn the magic does not work on the
 new bike.

I've found whatever minor surging problems my '96RS has haf have been most
easily fixed by a downshift.  I do believe plug brands can make a difference tho
as my CBX idles substantially better with Autolites than NGKs.

<< Yup. Different point than the one you make previously, though. Pilots have
 saying to the effect that every pilot should own a twin-engine plane at some
 point in their life, just so they can see how very different two "identical"
 engines can be. The same goes for Oilhead engines. Even with digital timing
 and fuel injection, they are very "analog."

Not only engines, I asked a friend who's logged many hours in FA-18 Hornets,
he confirmed that two "identical" airplanes can feel very different.
Personally, I've always felt that having two engines on an airplane only doubles your
chances of an engine failure. ;o)

Cheers
Paul