R1100s front end "rattle" & rear wheel play

Hi,

'98 R1100s - no smashes, fiberglass shrouds all fit well, regularly
serviced, now with 105,000 genuine road kms. In the last 3-6 months (?),
there's been an annoying rattle (like a loose metal mudguard) every time the
front wheel goes over a small road discontinuity ('cat's eye' for example).
Nothing really evident on normal road surfaces.

No discernable side-side play in the front wheel or fork assy.  Could not
figure out a home-check to determine if the front shock was "loose". Both
calipers tight as are front guards.  Everything in the headlight shell
department untouched since new and certainly appears tight.

Any thoughts on (a) the cause - and (b) any practical test to confirm/deny
likely cause(s)?

Second query:  what is the typ/max lateral (north-south) play allowable on
the rear wheel (bearing)?  I estimate mine is 1-2 mm (WAG only!) at the
wheel rim.  Whatever, you can detect <some> play as opposed to <think> you
can. Am I be paranoid?
Is this expected for the mileage?
Should I schedule a workshop bearing replacement at the next major workshop
service?

Thanks,

Kit Scally
'98 R1100s (Mandarin)