Strange turn/signal light behaviour

Hi,

On my '99 R1100RT, my turn signal lights often start blinking on
double speed after a couple of seconds of performing their regular
routine. I know from my old airhead that BMW has wired the lights so
that they do this when one of the bulbs break, and I recall that
oilheads have the same feature. However, when I check when this
happens, both bulbs work so something else must be causing it. As it
happens irregularly (but more and more often), I can't really test all
the conditions. Also, my alarm light switch seemed to have stopped
working (but pressing both turn buttons works as expected).

The only thing that's "odd" is that my battery is a bit weak. To the
point that it seems to affect the ABS self-test at times - I need to
ride a couple of miles, stop, re-start, and then the ABS comes back
on. Could the weak battery be causing the odd turn signal behaviour or
should I start looking for other causes?

(and with winter coming - what's a good -and sourceable in the
Netherlands- replacement battery?)